Join Noche Latina and M&M Tango for a wild weekend of innovative fusion workshops on traditional Argentine Tango and Kizomba, a vogue new Latin dance.
A series of classes from basic to advanced will introduce each dance and demonstrate the common elements of these two sensual dances that share movements and common African roots.
In addition to a basic introduction to each, we will
(1) show how knowing Kizomba is a bridge to learning Tango,
(2) teach how tango dancers can quickly learn Kizomba basics, and
(3) demonstrate intermediate and advanced footwork, embellishments, and musicality that cross-over to take your dancing to the next level.
Saturday, 1:00 to 4:15 (Classes)
Sunday, 12:45 to 5:45 (Classes)
Sunday, 6:00 to 10:00 (Fall Equinox Party)
20 Sept 13:00 – 14:30
Intro to Tango Basics for Kizomba dancers, lead and follow — Mixed levels
Intro to Kizomba
20 Sept 14:45 – 16:15
(1) Footwork and adornments for ladies and men (crossover for Kizomba or Tango) — Mixed levels
(2) Kizomba body position and connection
21 Sept 12:45 – 14:15
(1) Musicality: Rhythm and beat for dancers of Kizomba and Tango — Mixed levels
(2) Sayida footwork
21 Sept 14:30 – 16:00
(1) Beautiful Ochos (crossover for Kizomba or Tango) — Mixed levels ‘
(2) 21 Sept 16:15 –17:45 Fun with foot drags and Paradas (crossover for Kizomba or Tango) — Intermediate/advanced, or taken in sequence as part of the series
***Register via paypal to MandMTango@gmail.com
*Full pass (five classes, including fusion dance party): Pre-registration discount (by noon Friday 9/19): $80 Door: $100 ]
*Single classes (your choice) Each $20 / $18 students with ID (Pre-registration for 3+ classes includes party cover charge and reserves your place. Pay for as many classes as you intend to take).
*Fall Equinox Dance Party $13 / $10 students with ID (free with full pass or 3+ classes)
Where: All events take place in the studios of The New England Tango Academy, 620 Cambridge St., Cambridge Parking: Street (Saturday, meters take quarters; Sunday free) Meter lot on Warren Street at corner of Cambridge Street (free Sundays) Nearest T Stations: Redline, Kendall and Central
4 week series, 7-8:15PM
The beginner level is for those with absolutely no experience in tango or dancing, or those who want to review and polish basic technique. The beginner classes run in five week series, with new series starting every four weeks. The complete curriculum for the beginner class is spread over eight weeks, and can be completed by taking two consecutive series.
The goal of the beginner level classes is to provide the student with fundamental elements of Argentine Tango, including walking, the basic step, basic changes of direction, and forward and backward ochos. The proper embrace, balance, control, rhythm and basic lead or follow technique are introduced in this class as the main elements of the dance in order to improvise.
Please wear comfortable clothes (no dress code) and bring shoes with smooth soles.
- Mondays, Aug 11, 18, and 25th
- $17 per class (NETA standard pricing
- suggested 3-class series price: $40
- Use your NETA class card
- Milton & Tilly
We will have 2 beginner series starting in July:
Tuesdays, starting July 22 (7PM)
Thursdays, starting July 17 (7PM)
We will also have a free beginner practice on Tuesday July 15, from 7 to 8:15PM. Come by to work on the beginner steps or if you have missed a class and want to review!